10 Questions to Help You Find the Right Conformal Coating
Conformal coatings are becoming increasingly popular, as electronic assemblies get smaller and more widespread in mobile devices, automobiles and even medical devices. These coatings protect smaller circuits from shock, humidity, dust, fungus, extreme temperatures, and other contaminants, where functionality is critical. They can simply make the difference between premature failure and successful operation throughout required lifespan of the device.
While they may not always perform a particular electrical function, they are the most effective way to increase circuit lifespan in harsh or rough service environments. After you've read 5 Reasons to Use Conformal Coatings on PCBs post, you're probably ready for the next step.
Here are 10 Questions you need to ask yourself before choosing a conformal coating for your application:
- What is the end environment for the board?
- What requirements do you have for the coating? ( UL, MIL, IPC)
- Will you have shadow areas on your board?
- Are you looking for secondary heat or moisture cure?
- What are your testing requirements?
- Which thickness are you looking for?
- Will you be using a masking material in your process? If yes, which type?
- How are you planning to apply the material?
- How are you going to cure it?
- What is your required time takt time to dispense, dwell, and cure?
More than anything, a technical consultation with the conformal coating manufacturer is advisable to help you compare products and finalize your selection.